In some ways Divine Magic is the most powerful magic in OpenQuest. However, the biggest limitation is how you get your spells back once they’ve been cast.
The rules suggest 3 ways (p 148 OQ2 Core book):
- Visit a temple and pray or perform in ceremonies on cult holy days – regain all spells (default method)
- Meditate/Rest/Commune with deity – regain 1 point of divine magic/hour spent in meditation (optional method)
- Perform a Deed in your Deity’s creed (optional method)
I’ve decided to allow all the methods, since we play in Ravenloft, which originally is a D&D setting (albeit lower in magic than most D&D settings). The meditate method is the most controversial, and I think the rules as written are too beneficial for players, so I added a chance of failure. New rules below. I will also add them to the Codex Divina and upload a new version when I get the time.
Regaining Divine Magic
There are 3 ways to regain Divine magic:
- Visit a Temple of the deity and pray or participate in ceremonies (as in book)
- Meditate/Rest/Commune with deity (1 point of divine magic/hour in meditation – see below)
- Perform a Deed in your Deity’s creed (as in book)
Meditation new rules: After meditation time, roll Lore (Religion) with a +5% bonus to the skill per hour spent meditating. If failed, you can try next day. If fumble roll 1d4 for when new try is allowed: 1=1d6 days; 3=1d6 weeks; 4=1d6 months.
This only applies to the meditation variant though. The Visit a temple and Peform a Deed still works as usual.
(More info: p.148, OQ2)